You are here
Using SODAR and LIDAR to measure wind at great heights
The remote measurement technology SODAR (Sonic Detection and Ranging) and LIDAR (Light Detection and Ranging) allow measuring wind profiles and improve the power assessment of big wind turbines.
Barlovento has different technologies devices to carry out measurement campaigns according to the customers’ needs. The measurements campaigns carried out by Barlovento follow the international guidelines fixed by IEC, MEASNET and IEA.
The remote measuring devices have many advantages compared to the met mast.
- Easy to install and to move.
- Good behaviour in severe cold conditions in which usual anemometers can freeze.
- Low environmental impact.
- Ability to measure in great heights (200 metres and higher), allowing to characterize the wind flow in the entire rotor’s area.
- They allow characterizing non-standard situations, such as changes of direction or extreme profiles.